After a relaxing vacation, the back-home blues - and a few extra pounds - can strike. Here are 5 post-vacation tips to make that first week back less painful:
1. Drink lemon water when you wake up. A glass of warm water with half a squeezed lemon kick-starts your metabolism and digestive system. Continue drinking throughout the day; keeping your body hydrated is a quick way to get rid of post-vacation bloat. Tip: Add chia seeds to your water for an extra fibre boost.
2. Up your flax seed intake. Soluble fibre helps regulate bowel movements, flush out toxins, and keep you full for longer (ever notice how your appetite expands after a week of vacation eating?!). Sprinkle ground flax on salads and smoothies, starting with a tablespoon a day and working up to two tablespoons. Tip: Store ground flax seeds in the freezer to keep 'em fresh.
3. Eat raw vegetables with every meal. Stock up on fresh veggies when you get back, then wash and cut them up so they’re ready to go in your fridge. Why? Prepped produce helps you stay committed to cooking meals at home. Tip: Blend spinach, kale, romaine, cucumber, parsley or shredded beets in your morning smoothie to increase veggie intake (see tip #4).
4. Make green smoothies for breakfast. They provide your digestive system a quick blast of nutrients and antioxidants for sustained energy. Be sure to include a scoop of plant-based protein to keep you full for longer (we love this green electrolyte smoothie from Joyous Health).
5. Drink mint tea. Steep fresh mint leaves or mint tea and drink after your main meal of the day. Peppermint soothes the digestive tract and reduces gas and bloating.
6. Get sweaty! Create an exercise plan before you go away and pre-pay for a few classes so it’s harder to back out. Getting a move on is one of the best ways to detox and feel rejuvenated.
Comments will be approved before showing up.